- Undergraduate Education
- B.S. Biochemical Engineering, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico, D.F.
- Graduate Education
- Ph.D. Ecology, University of California, Davis
- M.S. Ecology, University of California, Davis
- 2018 Fellow, Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- 2016 COALS Dean’s Outstanding Achievement Award for Diversity
- 2016 Distinguished Member recognition, SACNAS Board of Directors
- 2013 Distinguished Scientist National Award, SACNAS
- 2013 Certificate of Appreciation for Service in the SETAC World Council, 2009-2013
- 2012 Diversity Service Faculty Award, Texas A&M University
- 2010 SETAC Presidential Citation for Exemplary Service
- 2009 Founding Member, Texas A&M University SACNAS Student Chapter
- 2008 Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Certificate of Appreciation for advancing underrepresented minority students in STEM.
- 2007 Fellow, American Ornithologists’ Union
For the last 30 years Dr. Mora’s research has focused on documenting the impacts of persistent organic pollutants, agricultural pesticides, metals, and other contaminants of emergent concern on avian species. Dr. Mora’s work has focused on the southwestern United States, along the U.S.-Mexico border, and in various other regions of Texas, California, and Arizona. In the southwestern U.S., Dr. Mora investigated the accumulation and impacts of environmental contaminants in raptors, particularly aplomado falcons (Falco femoralis) and peregrine falcons (Falco peregrinus), and various other endangered species of the U.S.-Mexico border. He has also conducted various research projects in Mexico.
Research Interests and Specializations
Ecotoxicology, Avian Ecology
Sandoval, C*, M. A. Mora#, J. Sericano, R. R. Rech. 2019. Persistent organic pollutants in livers and Hg in feathers of Neotropic cormorants (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) from the Trinity River Watershed (Texas, USA). Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. DOI: 10.1007/s00244-018-00596-4.
Ali Abdulameer Al-Badran*, Masami Fujiwara, Delbert M. Gatlin III, Miguel Mora. 2018. Lethal and sub-lethal effects of the insecticide fipronil on juvenile brown shrimp Farfantepenaeus aztecus. Scientific Reports 8:10769 | DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-29104-3.
Ertl, Hannah M.*, Miguel A. Mora#, Diane E. Boellstorff, Donald Brightsmith, Katherine Carson. 2018. Potential Effects of Neonicotinoid Insecticides on Northern Bobwhites. Wildlife Society Bulletin 42:649-655; DOI: 10.1002/wsb.921.
Schmude, E.*, H. M. Ertl*, R. J. Taylor, M. A. Mora#. 2018. Using Feathers to Evaluate Adverse Effects of Metals on Northern Bobwhites (Colinus Virginianus) in Texas. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 75:87-95. DOI: 10.1007/s00244-018-0520-3.
González, D*., Dioselina Alvarez Bernal, Miguel A. Mora, Héctor René Buelna Osben, Jorge Ricardo Ruelas Insunza,. 2018. Biomonitoreo de metales pesados en plumas de aves acuáticas residentes del Lago de Chapala, Mexico. Revista Internacional de Contaminacion Ambiental. 34 (2) 215-224. DOI: 10.20937/RICA.2018.34.02.0334:00-00.